SUNY Adirondack is accepting applications for the position of Accessibility Assistant. This position provides direct and indirect services to students with disabilities with the primary focus pertaining to testing coordination in collaboration with Accessibility Services.
Annual salary $34,000, FT-12 month, 10:00 AM-6:00 PM
1. Coordinate, receive, proctor and provide testing accommodations to students with disabilities
2. Provide and prepare students with disabilities to utilize assistive technology such as Read and Write Gold, Live Scribe Smart Pens, Dragon Naturally Speaking, E-Text, etc.
3. In conjunction with the Learning Specialist, assist students with specific study skills such as study habits, memory training, test-taking strategies, time management skills, organizational skills, and provide training to use assistive technology etc.
4. Develop and implement workshops for students that relate to academic success.
5. Maintain effective customer service orientation towards all persons contacted during job performance.
6. Participate in transitional programs/workshops for area high school and college professionals and service agency personnel.
7. Assist with note taker coordination.
8. Communicate with students, faculty, staff and administrators professionally.
9. Other duties as assigned.
1. Must have interest in and working knowledge of state and federal laws pertaining to serving
people with disabilities in a postsecondary education setting, including Section 504/ADA.
2. Must possess excellent interpersonal, organizational, communication (verbal and written) skills.
3. Strong computer skills for using Microsoft Word, Excel and ability to learn new software.
4. Ability to prioritize workload according to volume, urgency, etc.
5. Ability to work comfortably with individuals with apparent and non-apparent disabilities.
6. Bachelor’s degree in Special Education, Social Work, or related field required.
For consideration, email email@example.com with the corresponding job title as the subject line. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and the names, numbers and email addresses of 3 professional references.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications are accepted until position is filled.
SUNY Adirondack values diversity and is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer