- Student Life Home
- Clubs and Organizations
- Intramural Sports
- Student Activities
- Student Handbook
- Student Senate
- This Week at SUNY Adirondack
- Visual Arts Gallery
- Student Housing
- Fitness Center
- Tobacco Free
- Orientation Information
Types of Veterans' Education Benefits
VA Form 22-1990 is used to apply for education benefits under the following programs:
• Post- 9/11 GI Bill chapter 33
• Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) chapter 30
• Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) chapter 1606
• Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) chapter 1607
• Post-Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) chapter 32
Description of the Veterans' Program Chapters
Chapter 30 - The Montgomery GI Bill:
This program provides educational benefits to individuals who served on active duty. The Member 4 copy of your DD 214 is required.
Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation for Service-Disabled Veterans:
This program is for individuals who have a service connected disability. The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs determines that training and rehabilitation services are needed to overcome an employment barrier. Veterans should contact the Chapter 31 Case Manager by telephone at (518) 626-5692 or (518) 626-5693 or at VA Medical Center, 113 Holland Avenue, Albany, NY 12208.
Once eligibility has been established, the Case Manager will issue a signed 22-1905.
Chapter 33 – Post-9/11 GI Bill:
The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. This program will pay eligible individuals tuition & fees directly to the school. Students will also receive an annual books & supplies stipend of up to $1,000 (paid directly to students at a rate of $41 per credit hour). The program will also pay a monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school. Information on the housing allowance rates can be found at http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/bah.html.
Chapter 35 - Dependents Education Assistance Program:
This program is for the dependents (spouse or children) of individuals who die or are permanently disabled from service connected causes. To apply for this benefit please visit http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-5490-ARE.pdf.
Chapter 1606 and/or 1607 - Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve:
These programs are available to members of the Selected Reserve, including the National Guard. The form DD2384 (NOBE) is required.
NEW as of July 1, 2012: Veterans' Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP)
The VRAP offers 12 months of training assistance to Veterans who:
- Are at least 35 but no more than 60 years old
- Are unemployed on the date of application
- Received an other than dishonorable discharge
- Are not be eligible for any other VA education benefit program (e.g.: the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Assistance)
- Are not in receipt of VA compensation due to unemployability
- Are not enrolled in a federal or state job training program
Visit the ebenefits page to apply for VRAP.